Designing and Manufacturing Simple Rice Thresher with Trailer Coupling System
Rice has been the main commodity for Indonesia because it is the staple food for most of its population. Therefore, the government must guarantee its availability throughout the year. However, the rice supply still mostly relies on local farmer’s production with planting frequency only 2 to 3 times per year. Separating grains from rice stems generally still uses the traditional methods, which include from pounding rice in a particular container that resembles a raft, to finally trampling to release the seeds. Generally, rice threshing machine has been widely adopted as substitution for traditional methods to minimize the post-harvest losses. However, the local farmers find new challenge when transferring the rice thresher to the harvest location. The four-wheeled vehicles are unable to access the small rice-fields path. Thus, it must be lifted by 4 to 6 man using wood or bamboo. This study aims to design and to manufacture simple rice thresher that will easily access the rice-fields path, using 100cc used motorcycle with a maximum power of 7.3 PS (5.5 kilowatt) as the main driver, which can be produced by local craftsmen and accessed by all small farmers. This study uses an experimental method, from designing the threshing components to making the prototypes. The result is the rice threshing with threshing drums in diameter of 220mm and 800mm in length. The overall size of the machine is 200 cm in length, 100 cm in width, and 130 cm in height.
Agricultural Statistics. (2018). Ministry of Agricultural Republic of Indonesia.
Kuswoyo, A. (2017). Rancang Bangun Mesin Perontok Padi Portable dengan Penggerak Mesin Sepeda Motor. Jurnal Elemen, 4(1). pp 35-38.
A. Majdah M. Zain, A. Haslindah and Fatmawati. (2016). Threshing machine working plan design using break down model for rural in production improvement. ARPN Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science Vol, 11(8). pp 317-321.
Kristanto, A. and Widodo. (2015). Perancangan ulang Alat Perontok Padi yang Ergonomis untuk Meningkatkan Produktivitas dan Kualitas Kebersihan Padi. Jurnal Ilmiah Teknik Industri Universitas Ahmad Dahlan, 14(1). pp. 78-85.
Dhananchezhiyan, P., Parveen, S., Rangasamy, K. (2013). Development and Performance Evaluation of Low Cost Portable Paddy Thresher for Small Farmers. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 2(7). pp 571-585.
Olugboji O. A. (2004). Development of a Rice Threshing Machine. AU J.T, 8(2), pp 75-80
Rupajati, P., Saharudin, S., Arif, S., Suastiyanti, D. (2016). Rancang Bangun Mesin Perontok Padi (Paddy Thresher) dalam Upaya Peningkatan Kualitas dan Efisiensi Produksi Beras Pasca Panen. pp 7-12.
Novianto, R. (2013). Perancangan Mesin Perontok Padi yang Portable dengan Biaya Terjangkau. Jurnal Riset Daerah Edisi Khusus, pp 105-116.
Hasbullah, R., and Indaryani, R. (2009). The Use of Threshing Technology to Reduce Grain Losses and Maintain Grain Quality of Paddy. Jurnal Keteknikan Pertanian IPB, 23(2). pp 111-118
Paman, U., Bahri, S., and Asrol, A. (2014). Custom Hiring Services of Power Thresher for Small-Farm Rice Threshing in Kampar Regency, Indonesia. International Journal of Advanced Science Engineering Information Technology, 4(4). pp 70-73.
Copyright (c) 2019 Harman Harman, Israkwaty Israkwaty
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
License and Copyright Agreement
- Authors retain copyright and other proprietary rights related to the article.
- Authors retain the right and are permitted to use the substance of the article in own future works, including lectures and books.
- Authors grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post or self-archive their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.